Upcycled Furniture Care Guide: The Complete Guide to Caring for your Refinished Furniture
The Complete Guide to Caring for your Refinished Furniture
As with all fine furniture, when treated with respect your painted and refinished furniture will give you enjoyment for many years to come.
Like all of us, vintage furniture has a history and minor imperfections are part of its story and charm. However, these simple steps, will help you keep your refinished furniture in beautiful condition.
Caring for solid wood, veneer and painted surfaces
In in order to best care for your refinished and painted furniture always
- Avoid excess handling
- Wipe up any spills as soon as they happen
- Clean with mild soap and water using a slightly damp microfibre or lint free cloth, then dry with a clean cloth
- Avoid all direct contact with furniture polishes, sprays and excessive water
- Do not use any abrasive products or tools
- Use coasters and placemats to protect the surface from moisture and heat. Don't place hot drinks directly onto the surface
- Note: solid wood and veneers are living materials that can be effected by heat, cold and moisture, causing movement or hairline cracks
- Keep your furniture out of direct sunlight. This can cause fading and may also cause movement in the wood
- Keep furniture away from radiators. Heat from the radiators can cause veneers to lift, wood to move and oiled surfaces to dry out more quickly
- If small scratches do appear on veneered or wood surfaces, you can apply a little oil or varnish. Painted surfaces also touch up well. Always test a discrete area first